No one likes to feel embarrassed. But sometimes, embarrassment can be funny, and even helpful. Learning to laugh at ourselves, and to see the humor in embarrassing situations, is a valuable life skill.
Here are some of the best children’s books about embarrassment, to help kids learn to laugh at themselves, and to see the funny side of life’s most awkward moments.
1. “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!” by Mo Willems. This classic picture book is all about a pigeon who tries to talk his way out of an embarrassing situation.
2. “The Cat in the Hat” by Dr. Seuss. The Cat in the Hat is always getting himself into embarrassing situations. But he always manages to laugh it off.
3. “The Very Embarrassing Book of Dad Jokes” by Jim Halpert. This book is full of hilariously embarrassing dad jokes. It’s the perfect way to laugh at the dad in your life, while also learning to appreciate his sense of humor.
4. “The Berenstain Bears and the Truth” by Stan and Jan Berenstain. In this classic Berenstain Bears book, Brother Bear learns an important lesson about honesty and embarrassment.
5. “The Adventures of Captain Underpants” by Dav Pilkey. This series is full of embarrassing moments, for both the characters and the readers. But it’s all in good fun, and kids will love following along with George and Harold’s hijinks.
Whether you’re looking for a laugh-out-loud funny book, or a more thoughtful story about embarrassment, there’s something on this list for everyone. So next time you’re feeling a little awkward, pick up one of these books and enjoy.