When Memorial Day comes around, it’s the perfect opportunity to teach your kids about the meaning of the holiday and why we celebrate it. And what better way to do that than with some great children’s books about Memorial Day?
There are plenty of excellent children’s books about Memorial Day, but here are ten of our favorites:
1. “Memorial Day Surprise” by Theresa Martin Golding – This heartwarming story follows a family as they prepare for a Memorial Day picnic. But when a surprise guest arrives, the day takes on a whole new meaning.
2. “A Nation Remembers” by Scholastic – This book features moving stories and poems about Memorial Day, as well as beautiful illustrations. It’s the perfect way to help your child understand the significance of the holiday.
3. “We Remember the Holocaust” by David A. Adler – This powerful book tells the story of the Holocaust through the eyes of children who lived through it. It’s a moving reminder of the importance of remembering those who have lost their lives in war.
4. “My Uncle Martin’s Big Heart” by Angela Johnson – This touching story is about a little girl who learns about the meaning of Memorial Day through her uncle, who is a veteran. It’s a great way to teach kids about the personal sacrifices made by our military families.
5. “One More River to Cross: An African American Photobiography” by Walter Dean Myers – This award-winning book tells the story of African American history, from slavery to the Civil Rights Movement. It’s an important reminder of the sacrifices made by so many in the name of freedom.
6. “Yankee Doodle” by Steven Kellogg – This classic picture book tells the story of the famous song, “Yankee Doodle.” It’s a fun and patriotic way to teach your child about the history of Memorial Day.
7. “Gracie’s Pride” by Elizabeth Yates – This heartwarming story is about a little girl who learns the meaning of Memorial Day when she helps her grandfather raise the flag at the veterans’ cemetery. It’s a great way to teach kids the importance of respecting our veterans.
8. “Hero Dad” by Melinda Hardin – This touching story is about a little girl who learns about her father’s military service on Memorial Day. It’s a great way to teach kids about the personal sacrifices made by our military families.
9. “The Wall” by Eve Bunting – This powerful story is about a boy who visits the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on Memorial Day. It’s a moving reminder of the sacrifices made by our troops and their families.
10. “We Are the Veterans” by Deloris Johnson – This inspiring book tells the stories of different veterans, from different wars. It’s a great way to teach kids about the sacrifices made by so many in the name of freedom.
These are just a few of the many excellent children’s books about Memorial Day. So, whether you’re looking for a heartwarming story, a powerful reminder, or a fun and patriotic way to teach your kids about the holiday, there’s sure to be a book on this list that’s perfect for you.